Monday, January 11, 2010

Old Young Friends




Or young old friends?

Either way...I had a delightful Saturday lunch with two (or rather 3 - Marta was there too) of my favorite people - Molly and Denae.

Seven years ago, Molly was a co-captain on the SHS freshman basketball team I coached. She played for me on JV the following year and also decided to pick up volleyball that same year, upon my repeated requests and threats. So basically I coached her for five sports seasons throughout high school. We became extremely close, as you might guess, and I still consider her a good friend today.

I never coached Denae, but I had her in Honors 10 English the very first year I taught. I just told her how sorry I was that she had me my rookie year. (There are SO many things I would have done differently!) But Denae, being the sweet girl she is, was very complimentary. It was so fun to visit with her, and I was quickly reminded of how much I loved having her in class.

I still can't believe these girls are juniors in college - Molly at UMass and Denae at American. (Fortunately, this is the only negative aspect of getting to see them - the visual reminder that I really am getting older.)

But the positives far outweigh the negative. In fact, I'm already looking forward to the next time Molly is in town and I get to hear all the latest Shrewsbury gossip, live vicariously through their exciting club-hopping lives, and discuss their future goals, all over some yummy 2 Amy's margarita pizzas.

No comments:

Post a Comment